Friday, September 2, 2011

Cluttered, yet Hopeful

Guten Abend meine Blog-Leser


Today was a reminder that even when friends seem far away, the Lord is ever present with us. This morning I left my home in Noblesville, IN, and began my yearly trek to Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion IN. Arriving slightly before noon, I unpacked into the house that myself and two other fine young gentlemen will be calling home for the next nine months.  I found myself missing the great group of friends I made last year, but excited at the prospect of my final year at IWU.  Losing and gaining friends is a necessary, though painful part of life, and mourning those who have died, (or in my case, graduated) is natural.

 Frederick wrote of the loss of his best friend, Lt. General Hans Karl von Winterfeldt, in the following way:
Einen Winterfeldt finde ich nie wiederEr war ein guter Mensch,  ein Seelenmensch; Er war mein Freund. 
Roughly in English: I will never again find another Winterfeldt, he was a good man, a soulful man, he was my friend.

My thought for the day is that you should treasure the Godly friendships placed in your life. Proverbs 27:17 reminds us that, "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens the countenance of his friend." Today I was blessed by a visit from one of my good friends, French Ancien' Regime historian Andrew Dial. He graduated from IWU two years ago, and I was fortunate enough to share several classes with him.

We had wonderful discussions ranging from 18th Century History, to deeper Theology, and spent a good bit on the state of modern culture. Andrew has moved on to graduate school at a secular college, and we discussed the lengths of depravity that have become acceptable in the modern day. All in all, his visit was a wonderful answer to prayer, as I missed the housemates I became such good friends with last year. Another major praise is that the Campus Media Services has contacted me about a position, so my lack of a job during the school year this year has been filled!

So even on days that seem to bring painful memories, God can use the people in our lives to remind us that He is the one in control.

Guten Abend, mit Gott gehen.


No comments:

Post a Comment