Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Greetings

Early on the morning of September 30, 1745; Frederick II, King in Prussia, found himself fighting for his life, in hostile territory, cut off from his supply lines near a village called Soor in the modern day Czech Republic. The resulting encounter became known as the Battle of Soor. His opponent, Prince Charles Alexander of Lorriane, an older, more experienced general, had occupied a strong hilltop position between Frederick and his supply line. Frederick, whose long and illustrious military career was only beginning, would later point to this moment as the time when he came closest to total defeat.

I find myself in a similar situation to the young king of Prussia. Despite successes, life has begun to bog down, and the long term goals that I set for myself in highschool, goals dealing with morality, family, and faith, have been replaced by goals based around temporal happiness, career fulfillment, and material gain. Like Frederick, I needed a wake up call, something to remind me of the principles that allowed me (with God's help,) to be successful in the first place.

Looking back on his life, Frederick said of this moment, "Ahh Soor... I was in soup up to my ears." While the visual may be unpleasant, as one imagines the King of Prussia treading water in giant vat of soup, the sentiment is clear. Carelessness brought on by overconfidence (and in my case, an acceptance of the modern culture) will only lead to heartache... or, to put it as Frederick did, An Earful of Soup. So, if you dare, join me on this mission to set the clock back on current events, and turn the tables on modern culture. I hope it is a enjoyable journey, led by Our Savior, with me and "old Fritz" along for the ride.

5 comments:

  1. I've written two comments but both have been block by Blogspot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This speaks to our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting Hancock! I was hoping that people would find this interesting. With so many things pulling at us from a cultural standpoint, it is important to reflect on who we really are, and Who is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting, and very good!
    I look forward to reading what you post- glad you began this blog!

    Thanks for following my blog, and commenting.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marjo! I am glad you enjoyed it! I hope you and the family are all doing well, hopefully we will see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete